Experiencing the sunset from the Carew Tower in Cincinnati, Ohio is a must-do if you ever visit or especially if you live here. I like being a “Tourist in my City” and take advantage of things to do in my own hometown! One of the camera club meetups that I belong to hosted an event at the top of the Carew Tower last night. From the time construction was completed in 1930 and up until 2010, the Carew Tower was the tallest building in Cincinnati and at a cost of $33 million, a very expensive one also! I arrived early to take some photos of Fountain Square and the Art deco inside the Carew Tower. I’m learning a lot in my weekly camera class and would have stayed longer to practice taking some additional night shots, but it got really cold.
Using my Nikon D5100, in manual mode I set my aperture at 8 and metered for my shutter speed away from the sun. With my camera on a tripod, I had my ISO set at 100 and white balance on Cloudy. A couple of the attendees said the color is more vibrant if it’s set on Cloudy. I had forgotten and left the image stabilization on which can cause photos to not be as clear if they are on a tripod. Luckily, one of the members reminded me, so I was able to get a few more photos with it off. I don’t have a remote trigger yet, so I used the self-timer for some of the shots.
My photos are shown backwards…from the end of the evening to the beginning. The Ohio River is meandering down below…
You can see the Purple People Bridge and the Big Mac Bridge below the Great American Financial Building.
The Carew Tower interior has beautiful Art Deco tiles and the lighting is so cool!
Before I went into the building, I spotted these succulents arranged with a potted plant sitting outside…
Cincinnatians love the Fountain at Fountain Square! They should because the most recent renovation in 2005 cost close to $42M!
I encourage you to get out and be a “Tourist in your City”. Most people don’t have to travel far to see beautiful places and things and to meet fun people!
- 10 great places to take a date in Cincinnati (jreiter11.wordpress.com)
- The World’s Tallest Slum – Inside Caracas’ Notorious Tower of David (Short Documentary) (alexandrosmaragos.com)
- Life is Like a Box of Chocolates (travelspirit333.com)
- Water Skiing on the Ohio River (travelspirit333.com)
- Day 315: Something Beautiful – Shadows and Light (mtmuchmore.wordpress.com)
- Snapped tree trunk delays local holiday season (wcpo.com)
- Belvedere Club: HHonors at Cincinnati’s Hilton Netherland Plaza (examiner.com)
- Sunrise and Sunset (marymforbes.wordpress.com)