Located only an hour from Denver, St. Mary’s Glacier in Idaho Springs, Colorado is a beautiful hike and at 1 mile round trip is perfect if you’re looking for a shorter length hike and as an added bonus…you can enjoy a 10 mile scenic drive from I-70 to reach it. Having spent six wonderful days in Colorado (except for having to escape Estes Park flooding), my girlfriend and I had a full last day planned before we left and flew home to Cincinnati. We stopped at the magnificent Red Rock Amphitheater to take photos before returning later that evening for a concert and were stopping in the quaint town of Golden to have a late lunch after our St. Mary’s Glacier hike.
Here I am taking in the view on the hike…
I couldn’t stop taking photos…it was so pretty!
Although it was only a half mile hike to the glacier…at 10,000 ft. elevation and uphill, you get a bit of a work-out.
I loved this lone tree seeming to sway towards something unseen…
I remember the first time I took a photograph of a silhouette. I was in Thailand in a cave and a friend took a cool photograph of a statue. Here’s a tree silhouette…
Much of the time I was in Colorado I felt like I was in a comic book world…so very beautiful and perfect. Tomorrow we’ll see photographs from the glacier!
- Hiking through St. Mary’s Glacier (livelifewholesome.com)
- St. Mary’s Glacier (theresamclark.wordpress.com)
- Jame Peak (2nd time’s the charm!) Via St. Mary’s Glacier, Alice CO hikes 8/31/13 (hikingtohealthy.com)
- First Trip to St. Mary’s Glacier (aaronsexton4.wordpress.com)
- Road tripping Colorado (anthonyandkaraworldwide.wordpress.com)
- Hiking from Grand Lake Lodge (travelspirit333.com)
- Thomasson, Thenell Win First Glacier Fest 5K (coloradorunnermag.com)
- Colorado 7 opens to Estes Park as town braces for lost business (denverpost.com)
- Elderly woman urged neighbor to save herself from rising floodwaters (denverpost.com)
- One Week Itinerary for Colorado (travelspirit333.com)